A Reference Summary of Southwold Information
The following information is a quick ‘at-a-glance’ compilation of just some of the useful things you may wish to know about Southwold. You may also wish to consult our informative maps, which give street names and the locations of places of interest.
View an informative map of the northern part of Southwold
You can also view an informative map of the southern part of Southwold
and another of the Harbour area
Postcode (central area): IP18 6EF
Map Grid Ref: TM 508761
East Suffolk Council (website).
Southwold Town Council:
Suffolk IP18 6EF
Tel: 01502 722576
Open daily Monday - Friday 10am to 12pm (except Bank Holidays).
Town Council Information here.
Workers’ Educational Association (WEA) Southwold branch. Tel: 0300 303 3464
Children’s Play Areas:
- Tibby’s Green, Field Stile Road, Southwold, Suffolk
- The Recreation Ground, Cox’s Lane, Reydon, Suffolk IP18 6QJ
- Winston Road, Reydon, Suffolk IP18 6RA
Churches and Places of Worship:
- St Edmund’s Church, Bartholomew’s Green, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6JA
Bellringers ~ contact Julia 01502 723781, Kate 01502 722600 or Helen 01502 722562
- Southwold Methodist Church, East Green, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6JN
- United Reformed Church, High Street, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6HP
- Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart, The Common, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6AH. Tel: 01502 723207
Wednesday for those shops that have a half-day.
To see details of events in the local area please see the Blythweb Calendar.
River Blyth Ferry. Rowing boat crosses the River Blyth between Southwold and Walberswick (website).
Saint Felix Schools and Dragon’s Nursery, Halesworth Road, Reydon, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6SD. Tel: 01502 722175.
Leisure and Recreation:
Find a wide range of Leisure and Recreation pursuits in the Southwold area
Library (Suffolk County Council):
Southwold Library, North Green, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6AT. Tel: 01502 722519. (website)
- Southwold Market held every Monday and Thursday in the Market Place, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6EF
- Country Market held every Friday 9:30am – 12noon in United Reformed Church Hall, High Street, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6DJ
- Southwold Farmers’ Market held every Friday 9am - 12:30pm Drayman’s Square, Victoria Street, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6GB
- Sole Bay Health Centre, Teal Close, Reydon, IP18 6GY. Tel: 01502 722326. Own parking.
- Outdoor Gym, The Recreation Ground, Cox’s Lane, Reydon, Suffolk IP18 6QJ
- Click here to find a range of Medical, Health and Complimentary Therapies in the Southwold area
- A Defibrillator is housed in a cabinet at the front of the Scout Hall, Mights Road (near Buss Creek bridge, on town side), IP18 6BE. Anyone needing access should phone 999 and request the code .
- Southwold Museum and Historical Society, 9 - 11 Victoria Street, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6HZ. 01502 725600
- Sailors’ Reading Room, East Cliff, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6EL
- Amber Museum, 15 Market Place, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6EA
- Alfred Corry Lifeboat Museum, Southwold Harbour, Ferry Road, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6NG. Tel: 01502 723200
- Pay and Display at car park beyond the Pier
- Pay and Display at the Harbour
- Market Place – limited free Short Term parking, with restrictions on Mondays and Thursdays (Market Days). Disabled spaces
- High Street/East Street – limited free Short Term parking in marked spaces
- York Road – Free all day
- Godyll Road Carpark – Free all day
Southwold Post Office, High Street, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6AA (opposite the Town Sign). Tel: 01502 723188.
Open Monday – Saturday 9am – 5:30pm, Sunday 10am - 4:00pm.
Southwold Primary School, Cumberland Road, Southwold, Suffolk, IP18 6JP. Tel: 01502 723137.
- Toilet block at entrance to car park, by the Pier
- North Parade (opposite St James Green)
- Church Green, Cumberland Road
- RADAR key–operated toilet for the disabled, at Church Green, Cumberland Road
- Ferry Road (town end)
- Ferry Road (The Harbour end)
Sustrans National Cycle Network:
Sustrans Reginal Route 31 circles around Southwold and passes through Reydon before crossing the A12 just to the north of Wangford. It eventually connects with Sustrans National Route 1 (Dover - Shetland Islands) near Beccles.
From May 2016 there is no Tourist Information office at Southwold. Instead there are several Tourist Information Points in the town, including at Southwold Library (01502 722519) and at Southwold Post Office (01502 723188).
The nearest train stations are:
- Darsham Station, Main Road, Darsham, Saxmundham, Suffolk IP17 3PN
- Halesworth Station, Station Road, Halesworth, Suffolk IP19 8BZ
Both stations are on the East Suffolk Line (London Liverpool Street - Ipswich – Lowestoft).
See also the ‘Travel Information’ section of our Useful Links.
Voluntary Help Centre:
Southwold and District Voluntary Help Centre. Stella Peskett Millennium Hall, Mights Road, Southwold, Suffolk IP18 6BE.
Tel: 01502 724549 (Answerphone checked daily). Open Monday – Friday 9am – 1:00pm.
Should you need more information on anything mentioned here the Town Hall and/or the Library should be able to assist.
Great care has been taken in compiling this information, which is checked regularly for accuracy,
and any errors or omissions are regretted.